Thursday, May 28, 2009

Chapter 1: A tour of the property.

It all begins, as most things worth reading about do, in the rain. More specifically it begins with me, walking in the rain.
As life is complicated so is the rain: The city around me lies drenched and oozing after a particularly heavy downpour; the kind that makes people smile as they huddle together against walls and in the recesses of doorways.
I walk with my head down; scanning for puddles, perilous debris or the ever present ‘urban fauna’, just emerging into the cool of Evenfall. I watch the patches of the night sky reflect in the puddles: Burning halos of neon Chinese characters ripple across miniature oceans as my footfalls indiscriminately distort the bustle above me. A very hung over youth mumbles something about change to me, while apparently squinting from the effort or some infection; ignoring him I spy my salvation reflected in the ground beneath me.
Noodles!

Right now I’m writing to you from the front window of a noodle restaurant downtown. There’s a wireless signal here with the password ‘password’. Yes, I was astonished too. A funny thing I should mention about my downtown is, it’s much more ‘down’ than most; you see I live in a partially complete Arcology.
“Arcolo-what?” Well, I live in part of the world with a massive population density problem, so to compensate the government is building this ‘hyper-structure’ (honestly it’s called that) which is more or less a pyramid with crap loads of government housing and small dark secluded spaces jammed inside it.
Does this sound like a good idea to you?
No, didn’t think so, hence why it’s partially complete: The lawsuits.
First crime skyrockets as people start to live in an unfinished industrial wasteland without proper utilities, supplies or police; then to make things more interesting, the place starts falling apart due to the use of ‘sub standard’ construction materials.
What does this mean for us loyal reader?
It means low rent and great noodle joints.

No comments:

Post a Comment